- Hike the less traveled, remote Lemosho route up Africa's highest mountain
- Experience a remarkable crew of guides and porters, rated as some of the best on Kilimanjaro; most have more than 300 summits
- Climb with a company that specializes in Lemosho Route, Western Breach and Crater Camp
- Supporters of the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project, paying fair wages!
- Owners use to live on Mt. Kilimanjaro at 5,000 ft in last village that borders national park
- Custom 4 month training plan
- $Contact Embark
- Activity Level
- Trip Type
Welcome to Moshi- the more quaint, laid-back of the small towns sitting at the base of the famed Mount Kilimanjaro! Upon arrival in Kilimanjaro International airport you will be met by our Embark representatives, who will provide transportation to your hotel. No activities are planned for the day. You are free to explore picturesque downtown Moshi.
Morning pre-trip discussion, introduction with trekking guide and gear/bag check. In the afternoon you are free to explore some more or do last-minute shopping for the trek.
Depart Moshi for Londorossi Gate, which takes about 4 hours, where you will complete entry formalities. With flora and fauna heavier and richer here than on any other route through the thick rainforest, the Lemosho Route cuts through underbrush that is so untouched it at times grows right across the narrow trail. After three to four hours, we'll reach our camp, Mti Mkubwa, which means "Big Tree" in Kiswahili.
We continue on the trail leading out of the forest and into a savannah of tall grasses, heather, and volcanic rock draped with lichen beards. As we ascend through the lush rolling hills and cross several streams, we reach the Shira Ridge before dropping gently down to Shira 1 camp. The view of Kibo from across the plateau is amazing.
After breakfast we head east across the Shira Plateau and past the Shira Cathedral to Shira Camp. Shira is one of the highest plateaus on earth. It is about a four-hour hike to camp. On the way we pass the first of many Giant Senecios, some of Kilimanjaro’s otherworldly massive plants.
From the Shira Plateau, we continue to the east up a ridge, passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. As we continue, our direction changes to the South East towards the Lava Tower, called the "Shark's Tooth." Shortly after the tower, we come to the second junction, which brings us up to the Arrow Glacier at an altitude of 16,000ft. We now continue down to the Barranco Hut at an altitude of 13,000ft.
After breakfast, we leave Barranco and continue on a steep ridge passing the Barranco Wall, to the Karanga Valley campsite. This is a short day meant for Acclimatization.
After breakfast, we leave Karanga and hit the junction, which connects with the Mweka Trail. We continue up to the Barafu Hut. At this point, you have completed the South Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. Here we make camp, rest, enjoy dinner, and prepare for the summit day. The two peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo are to be seen from this position.
Very early in the morning, we continue our way to the summit between the Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers. You head in a northwesterly direction and ascend through heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim. This is he most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek.
At Stella Point (18,600 ft), you will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to see (weather permitting). From Stella Point, you may encounter snow all the way on your 1-hour ascent to the summit. At Uhuru Peak, you have reached the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa. Faster hikers will see the sunrise from the summit.
After breakfast, we continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. Gaiters and trekking poles will help. Shorts and t-shirts will probably be plenty to wear (keep rain gear and warmer clothing handy).
Dates & Pricing
Jun 6Jun 16$3,595 USD
Jun 20Jun 30$3,595 USD
Jul 4Jul 14$3,595 USD
Jul 18Jul 28$3,595 USD
Aug 1Aug 11$3,595 USD
Aug 15Aug 25$3,595 USD
Sep 5Sep 15$3,595 USD
Sep 26Oct 6$3,595 USD
Oct 3Oct 13$3,595 USD
Oct 17Oct 27$3,595 USD
Above Costs Include:
- All international and domestic airport transfers
- Moshi to Londorossi gate drive by private vehicle
- Accommodation for 3 nights in Moshi and breakfasts while at the hotel
- Park fees
- All meals and accommodations while on climb
- Accommodation, meals, insurance, equipment, transportation and allowances of guide and porter
- Fairs wages for the porters!
Cost Does Not Include:
- Lunch and dinner in Moshi prior and post-climb
- Any sightseeing tours in Moshi
- International and domestic airfare
- Bottled drinks (mineral water, any cold drinks, and alcoholic drinks)
- Your travel insurance and overseas medical insurance coverage
- Liability for expenses against sickness, flight cancellation, road blockage, accidents and other occurrence beyond our control
- Tanzania visa