- Visit UNESCO world heritage city, Antigua
- Sleep on the side of 13,000 ft Acatanango as the lava flows off nearby Fuego Volcano
- Explore a 5,000ft high caldera Lake Atitlan; home to a myriad of Mayan Villages
- Visit the jungles of ancient Tikal; the heart of the Mayan civilization
- Activity Level
- Trip Type
Arrival, meet your fellow trekkers, and private airport transfer to Antigua, the tranquil and historic capital of Guatemala tourism.
Break in your walking shoes with a morning guided walking tour of the old colonial houses and cobblestone alleys of this UNESCO World Heritage city. Learn about the complex colonial history of the city while sampling local chocolates, exploring ruins, and taking in the breathtaking views of the three volcanoes that surround the city. After lunch, we’ll hike one of the most active volcanoes in Guatemala, in search of hot lava where we can bake one the best pizzas you’ve ever had!
Immerse yourself in the mountains today, with a private transfer to Acatenango volcano. Today is a challenging hike through four distinct microclimates, sharing trails with local farmers as you pass their field, emerging in an old-growth tropical cloud forest. Ultimately, we ascend to our campsite with sweeping views of Antigua and the justly named Fuego volcano, still spitting fire. Rest or explore the slopes of Acatenango until sunset. After dark, the show really gets started with spectacular lava flows cascading down Fuego volcano; sights and sounds so rare you will not soon forget this unique experience. Your impression of Mother Nature and her immense power will be a lasting one!
After breakfast, we undertake the short but steep climb to the chilly summit of Acatenango, scrambling up a trail of gravel scree to views that stretch all the way to Mexico. We will descend down the entirety of the volcano where our private vehicle transfer awaits us. This afternoon we can relax for a few hours during our drive to Tecpan where we have an overnight in a cozy hotel.
We will hike through the ancestral trails Mayan people used to commute from their capital –Iximché- to Lake Atitlán to trade their harvest and handcrafts. Travelling with our Maya Kakchiquel guide, we will learn about indigenous traditions, culture, language while eperiencing amazing viewpoints along the way.
We’ll get up before the sun so we can hike up Rostro Maya to enjoy one of the most spectacular views of Lake Atitlán as the sun illuminates the vast lake. We have our work cut out for us as there is quite a bit of elevation gain in a short distance. However, the challenging moments slip away from our memory quickly upon witnessing the amazing sunrise views of this high elevation crater lake and its surrounding volcanoes. Marvel at the stunning landscape and enjoy the early morning stillness with a hot drink before making the descent back to the hotel. This afternoon we can choose to visit a local village to learn about local weaving traditions, chocolate, coffee and more.
After breakfast we'll take a boat transfer to our private vehicle which will deliver us to the airport in Guatemala City. From here we will take a short plane ride to Flores, the hub for those visiting Tikal and surrounding ar- cheological wonders. You will notice a marked difference in the climate, now we are in the warm, humid, tropi- cal environment of northern Guatemala. Tonight we stay at a hotel near the large lake Peten Itza, a beautiful clear lake with turquoise ascents that boasts some marvelous sunsets.
Today we have a 1-hr drive and subsequent 1-hr boat ride. Our long journey will not go unrewarded, we guaran- tee a special experience on a remote spring source of the La Pasión River. Our final destination is the remark- able clear blue waters that reveal a beautiful and other-worldly deep crater hosting a variety of plant and animal life that unfolds before you. We’ll have lunch with the local community and continue to enjoy the peace and relaxation of the river before heading back to our hotel.
Our culiminating experience in Guatemala, the majestic Mayan pyramids of Tikal will take you back in time more than 2 thousand years. After this visit you can vouch for one of the most advanced cultures in Earth’s his- tory, not only for its architecture but for their writing system, their knowledge and development. We’ll fly back to Guatemala City for our last night.
Departure for airport for international flight home.
Dates & Pricing
Nov 5Nov 14$2895 USD
Dec 2Dec 11$2895 USD
Above Costs Include:
- All international and domestic airport transfers as per the program by private vehicle
- All domestic transfers by private vehicle
- 3 nights accommodation in Antigua & breakfasts while at the hotel
- Guided city tour of Antigua
- All park fees
- All meals and accommodations while on trek
- Accommodation, meals, insurance, equipment, transportation and allowances of guide and porter
- All applicable government taxes
Cost Does Not Include:
- Lunch & dinner in Antigua and other locations when not on trek.
- International airfare
- Bottled drinks (mineral water, any cold drinks, and alcoholic drinks).
- Travel insurance & overseas medical insurance coverage
- Expenses of personal nature (tips for guide, porter and driver, laundry, bar bill, etc.)
- Liability for expenses against sickness, flight cancellation, road blockage, accidents and other occurrence beyond our control
- Any other expenses not mentioned above