- Visit UNESCO world heritage city, Antigua
- Multi-day trekking journey, with a strong cultural component that weaves an incredible tapestry of Guatemalan cultures
- Sleep on the side of 13,000 ft Acatanango as the lava flows off nearby Fuego Volcano
- Explore the a 5,000ft high caldera Lake Atitlan; home to a myriad of Mayan Villages
- Activity Level
- Trip Type
Arrival, meet your fellow trekkers, and private airport transfer to Antigua, the tranquil and historic capital of Guatemala tourism
Break in your walking shoes with a morning guided walking tour of the old colonial houses and cobblestone alleys of this UNESCO World Heritage city, Antigua.
Immerse yourself in the mountains today, with a private transfer to Acatenango volcano and an acclimatizing hike through four distinct microclimates, sharing trails with local farmers as you pass their corn, lily, and pea fields, emerging in old-growth tropical cloud forest filled with birds, including the legendary Quetzal.
After breakfast, the short but steep climb to the chilly summit of Acatenango, scrambling up a trail of gravel scree to views that stretch all the way to Mexico
After breakfast a transfer to the first trailhead, with a stop en route to admire a popular shrine to a Mayan deity known as “San Simon.”
The trek passes through a protected natural area and descends more than 3,000 feet through forest and farm fields to enter the La Vega valley.
Today is the highest point of the trek--working your way up through terraced fields, you have the chance to have organic local interactions and learn the traditional agriculture of the Mayans.
The final leg of your cross-country hike is a descent to the La Madre Vieja valley, where a river winds through small villages and patchwork fields. In the valley you visit with growers of elite, small-batch coffees, and test-drive their invigorating brew.
Early boat transfer to the Indian Nose for our hike. The Indian Nose or the ‘Mayan Face’ is one of Lake Atitlan’s famous landmarks. It is a 2hr hike to the summit. On arrival, capture an amazing sunrise while enjoying a boxed breakfast. Eventually we will start our descent to San Juan town. San Juan is famous for its naïf art galleries, town murals and natural dye textiles.
Breakfast and boat transfer across the lake. Private shuttle to Guatemala City and departure for your late-afternoon international flight home.
Dates & Pricing
Feb 8Feb 20$3195 USD
Mar 7Mar 19$3195 USD
Nov 13Nov 25$3195 USD
Above Costs Include:
- All international and domestic airport transfers as per the program by private vehicle
- Private vehicle transfers to trailheads and elsewhere in-country
- Accommodation for hotels as per the program and breakfasts while at the hotel
- All parks and entrance fees
- Accommodation, meals, insurance, equipment, transportation and allowances of guides.
Cost Does Not Include:
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- International airfare
- Bottled drinks (mineral water, any cold drinks, and alcoholic drinks)
- Your travel insurance and overseas medical insurance coverage
- Expenses of personal nature such as tips for guide, porter and driver, laundry, bar bill, telephone calls etc.
- Liability for expenses against sickness, flight cancellation, road blockage, accidents and other occurrence beyond our control