- Experience carefully curated remote Patagonia treks experienced by only few visitors to this vast southern region
- Connect with multi-generation gaucho families while we lodge on their remote properties
- Appreciate the true remoteness, the rich, fresh air, pure glacial water and untouched wildlife
- Activity Level
- Trip Type
You will be greeted at the airport and driven to your hotel. In the afternoon, take a walk on our private tour of co bblestone streets and glamorous architecture of this city. After an early dinner and tango show.
Departing Bueno Aires, you will take a domestic flight to the glacier country of Southern Patagonia. On arrival in Calafate, transfer to the hotel for a good rest; you have reached the end of the world! Overnight tonight in a hotel in El Calafate.
You will be guided on a morning tour of the expansive Perito Moreno glacier, including a stop at the pier for a short boat trip to the actual south wall of the glacier. From the water level you get an amazing feel for the sheer size of this remarkable glacier, which is more than 3 miles wide and over 30 stories high- a true highlight of Patagonia, and one of the best ways to experience the power of this icey realm. After crossing an arm of the lake by boat, we continue on foot to a shelter where our guides give a training and safety briefing for an afternoon trekking on the glacier itself. After a walk through the impressive Magellanic forests you come into close contact with the ice. You will be able to walk on top of the glacier with our expert guides for over two hours, seeing the glacier’s summit, caves that allow you to reach the very base of the glacier, as well as deep blue lagoons confined under the ice shelf. Returning via the forest shelter, you will board the boat back to Bajo de las Sambras port and get a final chance to explore the glacier environment before heading back to Calafate.
Today we move deeper into the seldom-seen Andean terrain that has been called the most scenic in the world, driving from Calafate to Lake San Martin; a drive that is far and will take about 5 hours as we pass savanna-like valleys, glaciated peaks and iconic blue lakes.
In the afternoon we a choice between two local hikes. One is half day hike to Cerro Moreno. Cerro Moreno is a small mountain right next to La Medialuna with great views of Lake San Martin and the Andes. The other option is Laguna Talca, a fresh rainwater lagoon right below La Condorera.
Today we will perform a full day trek to Peninsula Maipu. From the top of the mountain we will get the best views of the area on the border of Argentina and Chile. We will enjoy panoramic views of Lake San Martin and also will have the chance to see Fitz Roy if we have a clear day.
Early Morning transfer to the trekking village of El Chalten, around 3 hours drive. Today is open for any one of a number of self-guided hikes just outside of town; or spend time relaxing in town.
This is an optional hike with the tour coordinator to Pliegue Tumbado. This hike offers a superb overview of the region, including the Continental Ice Field and the exact granite massifs whose startling outline is today the icon of the Patagonia clothing brand.
We will have a transfer to Reserva Los Huemules this morning. It will be approximately 1 hour by car. Los Huemules is a private 5,800 hectare reserve bordering the Los Glaciares National Park. It was created 15 years ago to preserve the ecology of this area and protect it from development. From here, we will start the trek to Refugio Cagliero, approximately 3 hour trek. Arrive to refuge for lunch. In the afternoon we will perform an optional hour trek to the mountains behind the refuge.
In the morning after breakfast we will walk approx. 2 hours from Refugio Cagliero to Huemules
Entrance Gate. At the gate we will get a transfer to drive us to Hosteria El Pilar, from where we
will start the trek. From here we trek through sub-Antarctic forest and pass the small glacial lake of Piedra Blancas; crossing the Rio Blanco before you begin the toughest part of the trek- a 1.3mile climb that switch- backs up a 45 degree slope. From the top you will see glacial Laguna de Los Tres and one of Patagonia’s most majestic views. We then return all the way to Chalten on foot via a different trail.
After breakfast, we will head back to Calafate airport. The transfer time is about 2.5 hours, and we catch an afternoon flight back to Buenos Aires.
Transfer for international flight home.
Dates & Pricing
Nov 12Nov 22$3995 USD
Mar 4Mar 14$3995 USD
Nov 18Nov 28$3995 USD
Above Costs Include:
- All international and domestic airport transfers as per the program by private vehicle
- All meals and accommodations while on trek
- Accommodation, meals, insurance, equipment, transportation and allowances of guide
- All applicable government taxes
- Entrance to to all national parks
- Connecting transfer El Calafate to Chalten
- Minitrekking Perito Moreno
- 2 nights in hotels in Buenos Aires
Cost Does Not Include:
- International and domestic airfare
- Bottled drinks (mineral water, any cold drinks, and alcoholic drinks).
- Your travel insurance and overseas medical insurance coverage
- Expenses of personal nature such as tips for guide, drivers, laundry, bar bill, telephone calls etc.
- Liability for expenses against sickness, flight cancellation, road blockage, accidents and other occurrence beyond our control
- Additional nights in hotels outside of the itinerary
- Airport transfers that fall outside of the itinerary