- Experience Patagonia's most famous hikes
- Explore some of the unknown hikes in a remote part of the countryside
- Walk on our private tour of cobblestone streets and glamorous architecture of Buenos Aires, with a classic tango show.
- Activity Level
- Trip Type
You will be greeted at the airport and driven to your hotel. In the afternoon, take a walk on our private tour of cobblestone streets and glamorous architecture of this city. After an early dinner and tango show, overnight at the Recoleta Grand.
Departing Bueno Aires, you will take a domestic flight to the glacier country of Southern Patagonia. On arrival in Calafate, transfer to the hotel for a good rest; you have reached the end of the world!
You will be guided on a morning tour of the expansive Perito Moreno glacier, including a stop at the pier for a short boat trip to the actual south wall of the glacier. From the water level you get an amazing feel for the sheer size of this remarkable glacier, which is more than 3 miles wide and over 30 stories high- a true highlight of Patagonia, and one of the best ways to experience the power of this icey realm. After crossing an arm of the lake by boat, we continue on foot to a shelter where our guides give a training and safety briefing for an afternoon trekking on the glacier itself. After a walk through the impressive Magellanic forests you come into close contact with the ice. You will be able to walk on top of the glacier with our expert guides for over two hours, seeing the glacier’s summit, caves that allow you to reach the very base of the glacier, as well as deep blue lagoons confined under the ice shelf. Returning via the forest shelter, you will board the boat back to Bajo de las Sambras port and get a final chance to explore the glacier environment before heading back to Calafate.
Morning transfer to the trekking village of El Chalten, around 3 hours drive north of Calafate. Meet your guide and then begin our first land trek, to Pliegue Tumbado. This simple warm-up hike offers a superb overview of the region, including the Continental Ice Field and the exact granite massifs whose startling outline is today the icon of the Patagonia clothing brand.
Today’s walk starts with a beautiful 11 mile drive up the valley to Hosteria Pilar. From here we trek through sub-Antarctic forest and pass the small glacial lake of Piedra Blancas; crossing the Rio Blanco before you begin the toughest part of the trek- a fifty minute climb that switchbacks up a 45 degree slope. From the top you will see glacial Laguna de Los Tres and one of Patagonia’s most majestic views. We then return all the way to Chalten on foot via a different trail.
Today we move deeper into the seldom-seen Andean terrain that has been called the most scenic in the world, driving from Chalten to Lake San Martin; a drive that is not far but will take about 4 hours as we pass savanna-like valleys, glaciated peaks and iconic blue lakes. In the afternoon we have the option to do a half day hike to Cerro Moreno. Cerro Moreno is a small mountain right next to La Medialuna with great views of Lake San Martin and the Andes.
Today is an incredible and tough full day hike to CerroAstillado,a6 ,500mountainatthesouthend of Lago San Martin. To reach lunch at a day camp, you will trek through tangled Lenga forests and open grasslands, often seeing flocks of wild guanacos in their summer pastures. Bonus activity: we often find fossils here that are about 100 million years old. Incredibly, virtually no tourists enter this vast wilderness, giving a solitary aspect to your encounter with some of the most remote and isolated valleys in South America. Charge your camera batteries for this one.
Prepare yourself, today is our final, most difficult challenge of the trek. La Condorera is a nearly vertical massif, offering a home to one of the greatest concentrations of endangered condors in the world. This is considered a hard hike even by Patagonian standards, 4-6 hours, 80% of it uphill, to reach the top of La Condorera, where you will typically see a dozen or more of these enormous birds in flight, their 11-foot wings audibly slicing the air overhead. These fearless giants often approach out of curiosity, and you are sure to have breathtaking views of the Andes and back over Lake San Martin. You aren’t done yet- expect a mere 2-3 hour downhill descent back to your estancia lodging.
After breakfast, we will head back to Calafate airport. The transfer time is about 5 hours, and we catch an afternoon flight back to Buenos Aires. Overnight in Buenos Aires.
Transfer for International flight home.
Dates & Pricing
Nov 16Nov 25$3495 USD
Feb 1Feb 10$3495 USD
Above Costs Include:
- All international and domestic airport transfers as per the program by private vehicle
- All meals and accommodations while on trek
- Accommodation, meals, insurance, equipment, transportation and allowances of guide
- All applicable government taxes
- Entrance to to all national parks
- Connecting transfer El Calafate to Chalten
- Minitrekking Perito Moreno
- 2 nights in hotels in Buenos Aires
Cost Does Not Include:
- International and domestic airfare
- Bottled drinks (mineral water, any cold drinks, and alcoholic drinks).
- Your travel insurance and overseas medical insurance coverage
- Expenses of personal nature such as tips for guide, drivers, laundry, bar bill, telephone calls etc.
- Liability for expenses against sickness, flight cancellation, road blockage, accidents and other occurrence beyond our control
- Additional nights in hotels outside of the itinerary
- Airport transfers that fall outside of the itinerary